Nothing goes better with apples than cinnamon. These Apple Cinnamon Muffins have a delightful crumb topping and can be personalized based on the type of apple used.
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and diced red apples
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Make the crumb topping. Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter in a small bowl. Mix with a fork until combined and mixture is crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the muffins. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and allspice.
- In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until eggs are well combined with the other liquid ingredients.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and gently stir together with a spatula. Don’t overmix.
- Gently fold in the apples.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly among the cups.
- Top each muffin with crumb topping. Gently press the crumbs into the batter.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until the muffin tops are golden and the tops are set. Insert toothpick into the center of a muffin to test.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and let the muffins cool 5 minutes in the pan.
- Transfer muffins to wire rack, let cool, serve and enjoy!
Source: Two Peas & Their Pod