Readers of my blog know that my go-to vegetable is broccoli. This time, I’m trying to branch out with another super-healthy but tasty vegetable, asparagus.
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup panko or homemade bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, steam asparagus with water in the microwave until cooked but still tender, 3-4 minutes.
- In a skillet or sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic 1 minute, until fragrant. Add in breadcrumbs and toast, a few more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add more olive oil if needed, and asparagus. Sauté until asparagus is the texture you desire.
- While the asparagus cooks, make the dressing: Stir together 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir together orzo, cooked asparagus mixture and dressing. Toss with Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by New York Times Cooking