It’s almost the New Year! A big New Year’s tradition in the South is to eat Black-Eyed Peas for good luck in the coming year. Since Black-Eyed Peas are delicious, I figured it couldn’t hurt to give this superstition a try.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 15 oz cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and black pepper. Stir in the red onion.
- Add beans, red bell pepper, tomato, scallions, parsley and basil.
- Stir to combine and let the flavors mesh for at least 30 minutes before serving.