My husband and I are obsessed with these bite-size breakfast “muffins!” I make them in advance each time we go camping. Whether for hiking or off-roading, if we’re out camping, it means we have a big day ahead of us and need a hearty meal of healthy fuel. These muffins do the trick – serve with sourdough toast & butter and freshly squeezed orange juice for the best camping breakfast ever!
- 4 cups / 3 heads broccoli florets, chopped
- 4 whole large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites (about 6 eggs)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can also substitute Pecorino Romano or Asiago)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a standard-size non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Steam broccoli florets with water in microwave for about 7 minutes. Remove from microwave and set aside. When cooled a bit, chop into tinier pieces.
- Mix in broccoli with olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon broccoli mixture into the tins.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and eggs. Whisk in grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into the tins over broccoli until tins are about 3/4 full.
- Top with additional grated cheddar cheese and bake until cooked, about 20 minutes.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Skinnytaste