I absolutely adore Pimiento Cheese Dip, so when I saw this recipe for Broccoli Pimiento Mac n Cheese, I just had to give it a try. This dish is so rich and creamy – perfect for a cheat meal.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk, divided
- 16 oz penne pasta
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 4 oz jars diced pimiento peppers (drained)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot of heavily salted water, cook penne to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli in microwave until it reaches the desired “crunchiness.”
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 2 cups milk until smooth.
- In a large oven-safe Dutch Oven, bring remaining 6 cups milk to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium, and gradually whisk in flour mixture until smooth. Return to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir penne pasta and broccoli into milk mixture until combined. Add cheddar cheese, pimiento peppers, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir together crushed Ritz crackers and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until casserole is warm and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Increase oven to 500 degrees (broil) and broil until top is golden brown (about 2 minutes). Remove from oven and serve!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living