There’s a reason Brown Butter Sage Sauce appears on so many restaurant menus, Italian or not. The combination is simply divine.
This sauce is very thin, so use on homemade gnocchi, ravioli, tortellini or other solid bases.
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. When the butter begins to get bubbly, add in chopped garlic, Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped sage and continue cooking 1-2 minutes, until the butter has turned light brown and has a rich, nutty smell.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Serve over base (seen here, Homemade Gnocchi – Get the full recipe HERE).
Source: Adapted from a recipe by The Spruce Eats