The secret ingredient to the best homemade tomato sauce you’ll ever have? BUTTER. Yep, butter. I was as shocked as you are, but now this is my favorite sugo recipe.
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you like your sauce spicy)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add them and their juices to a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Add garlic, butter and pinch of red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast, tossing halfway through, until the garlic has softened and the liquid has reduced, about 45 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender, potato masher or food processor to make the sauce creamy (or you can leave it chunky).
- Add to your favorite pasta (shown above, De Cecco spaghetti) or gnocchi (shown below, get the full recipe HERE) and serve!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Platings + Pairings.