Nothing goes with broccoli quite like cheese! This twist on macaroni & cheese uses nutty orzo instead of pasta, and a generous serving of dry white wine in the creamy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound / 2 1/3 cups) dry orzo pasta
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups / 3 heads broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until fragrant. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add in butter and orzo, and cook until golden and toasted. Add the wine, broth, bay leaf, garlic powder and additional salt and pepper. Simmer until orzo is al dente, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli with water in a microwave until it’s the level of tender you desire (I do 8 minutes for soft broccoli. Do less time if you like your broccoli crunchy).
- Once the orzo is cooked, stir in lemon zest, milk , 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup asiago. Add in broccoli and stir well.
- Top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve warm!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Half Baked Harvest