Readers of my blog know that I LOVE chickpeas! They are so versatile in every genre of food. This super-easy recipe combines chickpeas with another great love of mine, cheese.
Prep time: 10 min // Cooking time: 15 min // Total time: 25 min
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/3 pound mozzarella, shredded (about 1 1/3 cups)
- Crusty bread to serve with
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a 10-12 inch skillet. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine, followed by the marinara sauce and boiling water to thin it out. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shredded cheese on top and transfer to the broiler to melt the cheese until bubbly and golden.
4. Season with salt and pepper and basil and serve with chunky bread on the side.
Source: What’s Gaby Cooking
Check out my other great chickpea recipes!
Chickpea, Carrot & Caraway Saut?