When my husband and I are camping in the RV, either for hiking a National Park or for off-roading, we like breakfast that is fast and full of the fuel we’ll need for the day.
This Cheesy Potato and Egg Breakfast Casserole is one of my go-tos. It combines eggs, potatoes, cheese and veggies for a well-rounded meal and is easily made in advance at home and brought into the RV for reheating.
- Olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 30 oz bag frozen diced hash brown potatoes or Potatoes O’Brien, thawed
- Freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and cook onions and bell pepper for 3-5 minutes, until they begin to soften. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Add in thawed potatoes and cook, about 20-30 minutes. Feel free to add additional olive oil or water to cook the potatoes to nearly fork-tender.
- Once cooked, add mixture to baking pan and stir in cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Pour over mixture in pan. Fold gently until just combined.
- Cover casserole in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Serve with buttered toast and freshly squeezed orange juice and seize the day!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Spoon Fork Bacon