Cranberry sauce is a staple of the winter holiday season! Sure, the stuff from an Ocean Spray can is fine, but most people don’t know that making your own cranberry sauce is super fast and easy, and you can customize it with the flavors you want!
This version has orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon sticks and red wine for a unique twist on the standard sauce.
- 2 12-oz packages cranberries
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (I used Wilson Creek Syrah)
- 2 oranges
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- In a large pot, toss the cranberries and sugar to combine. Pour the red wine over the cranberries.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Zest the oranges and add zest to the pot. Squeeze the juice into the pot.
- Add the cinnamon sticks. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and simmer. Stir occasionally until cranberries burst, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and serve! Refrigerate up to a few days.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by PureWow