Cheese quesadillas are a quick and easy go-to meal, but they are also super boring. That’s why I was stoked to find this recipe from singer and Cabo Wabo Cantina owner Sammy Hagar that incorporates corn, cilantro and epazote into making a not-so-basic quesadilla.
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz shredded jack cheese
- 2 oz fresh epazote
- 4 oz roasted corn
- 1/4 oz fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pats unsalted butter
- Sour cream
- Remove and discard the stems from the epazote leaves and set aside
- Remove and discard the stems from the mushrooms (if using). Cut the mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices.
- In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft (5 min). Add the roasted corn and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the epazote and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir and place in a small bowl.
- Set aside. Wipe the saute pan.
- Heat butter in the saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Lay out the tortillas and divide the cheese and epazote mushroom mixture between them.
- Fold the tortillas into half moons and set in the pan, frying until the cheese starts to melt and the tortilla is crisp and brown, 3-4 min each side. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 triangles. Serve with cilantro, sour cream, salsa and lime.