I LOVE the combination of cranberry and orange. I also love loaf cakes, so this dessert was a dream for me!
For the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 large egg, well-beaten
- 1 1/2 cup raw cranberries, whole or chopped, fresh or frozen (unthawed)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut cold butter into salt pieces and add to dry ingredients. Using your fingers, rub the cold butter into the flour mixture until you have an evenly crumbly mixture resembling corn meal.
- In a small bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice and well-beaten egg. Pour all at once into dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, mix together just enough to dampen all the flour. Gently stir in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then let cool on wire rack.
- Stir together glaze ingredients until smooth, then spoon over cooled cake. Slice & serve!
Source: Seasons and Suppers