Every winter I try a new homemade cranberry sauce, and every winter I find a new favorite. This recipe is my favorite of the year because it includes one of my favorite fall fruits, apples!
- 6 large apples, peeled and diced (gala for me, red if you like crisp apples and Granny Smith if you like sour apples)
- 1 12 oz package fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small lemon, seeded and chopped into 4 wedges
- In a large saucepan, combine peeled and diced apples, fresh cranberries, water, sugar and lemon wedges. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes or until cranberries pop and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in sweetened dried cranberries. Cool. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Source: Southern Living