There’s just nothing like homemade cornbread when it’s cold out. This recipe is beyond easy to make and only requires an oven-safe skillet to bake to perfection.
Serve with homemade Lemon Thyme Butter for a fresh take on this original winter favorite.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with oil. Place skillet in preheated oven until hot, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and melted butter.
- Slowly add liquids to cornmeal mixture, stirring until just combined. Carefully pour batter into the preheated skillet.
- Bake in oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. You want the cornbread to be golden brown but not burned or dried out.
- Cool to room temperature in the skillet for about 30 min before serving.
Might we suggest serving with homemade Lemon Thyme Butter on top?
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living.