My favorite early summer activity is picking blueberries at U-Pick blueberry farms. They are so easy to pick, and then you can go home and make blueberry recipes you can feel extra proud of.
I love this super-light Glazed Blueberry Cornmeal Cake, with a sweet icing and beautiful presentation.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or butter a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the eggs one at a time, then beat in lemon zest, mixing well to combine.
4. Add in vanilla extract and mix to combine.
5. Add cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour. Mix to combine.
6. Add the yogurt and mix to combine.
7. In a medium bowl, coat the blueberries with the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
8. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Scatter the blueberry mixture in an even layer over the surface.
9. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then remove from cake pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Once cake has cooled, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and cream in a small bowl. Drizzle over the top and sides of cake.
11. Cut into 8 slices and serve!