I recently made this dip for a small get-together and boy was it a hit! This dip is incredibly decadent, and pairs perfectly with tortilla chips.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 15 oz cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell pepper strips, chopped
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a food processor, process cream cheese, 1 cup black eyed peas, 1/2 tablespoon lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt until creamy and smooth (about 1 minute).
3. Place mixture in a large Dutch Oven.
4. Stir in remaining black eyed peas, scallions, bell peppers and 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese into cream cheese mixture.
5. Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 more minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
6. Meanwhile, stir together tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
7. Top hot dip with tomato mixture and serve with tortilla chips.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living