Once you have ricotta on pizza, you just can’t go back. You won’t be able to eat pizza any other way. Unfortunately, a lot of pizza places haven’t been enlightened to this very important fact.
If you’re having trouble finding pizza places that serve Margherita pizzas the RIGHT way, try this recipe for making your own at home!
- Homemade pizza dough, or store-bought pizza dough
- 4 large garlic coves, diced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 small mint leaves, chopped
- 2/3 cup diced tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle or circle, depending on your preference and pan. Using a pizza stone is ideal. If not, use a baking sheet.
- Create little wells on top of the dough using the back of a spoon. Brush olive oil onto top of pizza dough.
- Scatter garlic, basil and mint onto dough. Next, add shredded mozzarella cheese. Finally, add spoonfuls of ricotta and crushed tomatoes.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
- Top with shredded Pecorino or Parmesan, and additional basil, if desired.
Source: Boots and Hooves Homestead