One of my favorite quick meals is mashed potatoes, butter and peas. It’s simple and easy and filling. When I saw this recipe from Ottolenghi that uses smashed new potatoes and blends the peas with cilantro, I knew I had to give it a shot!
- 1 pound 10 oz new potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups peas
- 3/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain and place in large bowl.
- In a food processor, blend 2 cups peas, cilantro, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt and plenty of black pepper into a rough paste and set aside.
- Roughly smash 2/3 of the potatoes with the bottom of a drinking glass. Leave 1/3 of the potatoes whole.
- Add the pea mixture to the potatoes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of whole peas. Serve with lemon wedges and more black pepper.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Ottolenghi (SIMPLE cookbook)