Parsley is an add-on spice to many dishes, but I never imagined that this common herb could be the star of a dish.
Enter Pasta Gremolata, where all you need is pasta, garlic, lemon, olive oil and this humble herb. Make it vegan, or add shaved Parmesan or Romano for a treat.
- 16 oz pasta shape (here, I used cavatappi)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 6 cloves garlic
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, optional
- Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente; drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine parsley, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add in olive oil slowly. Pulse until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the gremolata with cooked pasta until well coated. Serve as-is for a vegan meal, or top with shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese.
Source: Adapted form a recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking