You’ve heard of Stuffed Peppers. Now here come Stuffed Tomatoes!
I love these Pesto Rice Stuffed Tomatoes because they look very fancy, but are really easy to make.
- 4 6 oz beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 8.8 oz pouch Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, Garden Vegetable flavor
- 1/2 cup refrigerated pesto, divided
- 1 1/2 oz Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with oven rack 6-9 inches from top of oven.
2. Cut 1/2 inch off tops of tomatoes and discard tops. Cut a small (1/8 inch) slice off bottoms of tomatoes so that they will fit in baking dish and discard bottoms.
3. Carefully scoop out tomato pulp, using a melon corer or serrated knife, leaving a 1/2 inch shell intact.
4. Place pulp in a wire mesh strainer over a bowl. Press to remove 1/3 cup tomato juice. Reserve juice and discard pulp.
5. Add pinch of cheese to bottom of each tomato.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
7. Add rice and 1/3 cup reserved tomato juice. Cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
8. Stir in 1/3 cup pesto and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide mixture evenly among tomato shells. Place shells in a roasting dish.
9. Bake until tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Top with cheese and serve!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living.