Red bell peppers give a fun flair to the ordinary weeknight pasta dish. And buttery breadcrumbs make everything – EVERYTHING – better.
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Buttered Parmesan-Herb Breadcrumbs:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Romesco Sauce:
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced basil leaves
1. Fill a pot with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add a small handful of salt and rigatoni and boil, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Drain pasta into a colander, reserving” cup pasta water. Set aside.
3. Make breadcrumbs: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and add breadcrumbs. Stir and toast breadcrumbs for 3 to 4 minute, and remove from heat. Stir in herbs and transfer into a small mixing bowl. Once mixture has cooled, stir in Parmesan. Set aside.
4. Make Romesco Sauce: Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into skillet and place over medium-low heat. Stir in reserved pasta water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add pasta into sauce and toss together until pasta is fully coated. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour coated pasta onto a serving platter, top with buttered, Parmesan-herb breadcrumbs and serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Spoon Fork Bacon