When we have friends over to the pool, we serve one of two things: a taco bar, or a chickpea gyro bar.
I love this build-your-own chickpea gyro because it’s fresh and healthy, but still filling. Guests can mix-and-match their own toppings so everyone is happy.
For the chickpeas:
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Celery, diced
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Tzatziki sauce
- Feta cheese
- Pita bread
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Cook chickpeas until slightly brown, then coat with spices.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until spices are fully mixed and fragrant.
- Set up an assembly line with pita, chickpeas, sauces and veggie toppings. Let your guests build their own plates!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by 40 Aprons