I love Greek food, but for some reason, I never attempt making it myself! I decided to start with an easy recipe, Roasted Chickpea Gyros.
BEWARE: This recipe is SPICY. Like, drink 4 glasses of water with your meal spicy. If you’re not into that, adjust the spice level accordingly.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1/4 red onion, cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Pat chickpeas dry with towel, removing any skins that come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt on a greased rimmed baking sheet.
3. Roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
4. Spread tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then add 1/4 chickpea mixture and veggies. Fold in half and serve.