I recently made these puff pastry appetizers for a family gathering and they were a big hit! I’d definitely make them again, but reduce the amount of cream cheese used. Our family loved them as is, but I think they’d be tastier with 1/2 to 3/4 the cream cheese.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 – 16 oz cream cheese, softened (depending on how cream cheesy you want these to be)
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheeses (Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, etc.)
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Roll out one puff pastry sheet into a 10 inch square, trimming edges as necessary.
3. In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and pesto until smooth. Stir in sun-dried tomato and cheese.
4. Spread 1/2 the cream cheese mixture on pastry, leaving 1/2 inch around the edges.
5. Roll up like a jelly roll. Repeat steps 2-5 with the second puff pastry sheet.
6. Cover in plastic wrap and freeze, 30-45 minutes.
7. Cut jelly rolls into 16 slices. Place slices on baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
8. Serve warm and enjoy!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Taste of Home