My homemade tomatillo salsa is famous around here. My secrets Browning the tomatillos in a cast-iron skillet, and not letting other peppers get in the way. Too many tomatillo salsas and verdes rely on jalape’os, Serrano peppers and other chiles for flavor. I love tomatillos, though, and I want to taste them. So I let the little fruits speak for themselves.
Prep time: 10 min // Cook time: 15 min // Total time: 25 min
- 18-20 tomatillos
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Husk tomatillos and rinse well.
2. Grease a cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil and heat on high. Place tomatillos in the pan. Sear on one side, then flip and brown on the other side. Remove from heat.
3. Place the cooked tomatillos, lime juice, onions, garlic, salt and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finally chopped and mixed.
4. Cool in fridge for 2 hours or overnight.