Potato salad is a backyard BBQ staple, but there are a lot of mayo-haters out there. I love a good classic mayo-based potato salad, but honestly, I’m wary of these kinds of dishes when other people prepare them. I have a sensitive stomach prone to food poisoning, and there’s no way of knowing just how long these dishes have been left out in the heat.
Play it safe at the next summer BBQ with this VEGAN German potato salad, which uses white wine vinegar and red onion for a tangy flavor, no mayo (or eggs) necessary.
Prep time: 10 min // Cook time: 25 min // Total time: 35 min
- 3 pounds baby new potatoes, quartered
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 bunch chives, sliced
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted, boiling water. Cook until tender. Remove from pot, drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, fry diced onion in olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the vinegar and mustard to the onions and cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Fold in green onions and season with more salt and pepper. Serve cold or warm.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking