Part of my journey to healthier eating has been eating more grains, and less white-flour pasta. It’s amazing how many different things you can mix with couscous for entirely different dishes!
My favorite combination involves steamed broccoli, fresh lemon juice and savory vegetable broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heads fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- In a large bowl, steam broccoli with some water. Drain, mix with olive oil and set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook couscous in vegetable broth, adding more broth as needed. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and seasonings. Cook until liquid is absorbed and couscous is cooked, 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Stir in broccoli and serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Taste of Home