I’m not usually a fan of olives, so I was surprised to enjoy this Spaghetti alla Puttanesca recipe so much! I urge other olive-haters to give this recipe a change. It’s vegan, but no one is stopping you from adding some freshly grated Parmesan on top.
- 16 oz spaghetti
- 2 28 oz cans chunky tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olive brine (from your jar of olives)
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley leaves, divided
- Black pepper
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, olives, olive brine, garlic and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and add in half the chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in cooked pasta and toss.
- Divide and serve with additional chopped parsley.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Cookie and Kate