Have you seen all the new types of pasta at the store lately? They have lentil pasta, chickpea pasta, zucchini pasta, all sorts. I tried out lentil pasta with this sun-dried tomato sauce for a protein and veggie-rich meal.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil (drained and chopped)
- 16 oz dried red lentil pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lentil pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Slowly add the tomatoes and juices from the can. Add the sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer the sauce for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce into a food processor to blend tomatoes and make the sauce smooth.
- Return pasta and sauce to pot. Heat over medium heat until the sauce is well incorporated. Serve as is (vegan) or add Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan cheese to serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Half Baked Harvest.