Pasta and rice aren’t the only carb bases that are ideal for a weeknight dinner – Mediterranean couscous and Israeli couscous are other versatile grains. This one-skillet meal takes 20 minutes to cook and is hearty and healthy!
Active time: 15 min
Total time: 20 min
- 1 cup uncooked Israeli couscous
- 1 3/4 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic, stir for 1 minute. Add couscous and toast, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in additional 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living