My husband and I love caprese everything – caprese salad, caprese paninis, caprese sandwiches, even caprese pasta.
I wouldn’t necessarily say that mozzarella, tomatoes and basil ever gets OLD, per se, but I am always on the lookout for new ways to mix up the flavor combination.
Enter quinoa. Quinoa and couscous are grains I always seem to forget about, in favor of the common staples pasta and rice. I don’t know why. Cooking quinoa is fast, easy and nutritious, not to mention delicious.
I tried out the caprese flavor profile with quinoa and was really impressed. Try it for yourself:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked quinoa and 2 cups water)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mini mozzarella balls
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients to bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Salad can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Source: Averie Cooks