Mexican food is my favorite food, my cooking speciality, my life-blood. Tex-Mex on the other hand? not so much. I keep trying it and not really loving it. So I decided to make my very own Tex-Mex vegetarian chili mac at home to see if I could make something authentically Tex-Mex inspired while also appealing to my picky taste buds.
- 8 oz macaroni noodles
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 oz fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Boil water and salt in a saucepan. Cook macaroni noodles until tender, drain and set aside.
- Dice only half the onion.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, set aside.
- Remove stems from cilantro and set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, then cook onions, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt for 5-8 minutes, until the onions are caramelized and fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and black beans to the saute pan. Mix to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add the jack/cheddar cheese blend and macaroni to the large saute pan, mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- Plate, garnish with cilantro and sour cream, and serve!
Source: Good Housekeeping?