Mexican food is my favorite food, my cooking speciality, my life-blood. Tex-Mex on the other hand? not so much. I keep trying it and not really loving it. So I decided to make my very own Tex-Mex vegetarian chili mac at home to see if I could make something authentically Tex-Mex inspired while also appealing to my picky taste buds.
- 16 oz macaroni noodles
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cans black beans
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 oz fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Boil water and salt in a saucepan. Cook macaroni noodles until tender, drain and set aside.
- Dice the onion.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, set aside.
- Remove stems from cilantro and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil, then cook onions, chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 5-8 minutes, until the onions are caramelized and fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and black beans to the sauté pan. Mix to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add the jack/cheddar cheese blend and macaroni to the large sauté pan, mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- Plate, garnish with cilantro and sour cream, and serve!
Source: Good Housekeeping