If you’re ever tired of spaghetti sauce out of a jar, but craving some classic pasta with tomato-based sauce, look no further than this easy recipe. With whole wheat spaghetti and spicy crushed red pepper, this super-fast recipe is a fun twist on the same-old.
- 1 box whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 oz ricotta salata
- Cracked black pepper
- Finely chop 4/5 tomatoes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
- In al large pot, cook spaghetti al dente. Serve 1/4 cup pasta water. Drain and set aside.
- Chop remaining tomatoes. Place in food processor along with garlic, red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth. Stir mixture into bowl with tomatoes.
- Add cooked spaghetti to the bowl, combine. Toss with basil, parsley and reserved pasta water if needed.
- Divide pasta among serving bowls. Top with freshly grated ricotta salata.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Good Housekeeping