These little veggie tarts are so easy to make, and so delicious. The lemon pairs perfectly with the ricotta and the sweet puff pastry dough.
For pea haters like my husband, they can also easily be made with just asparagus.
- 2 sheets store-bought puff pastry dough
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 egg, whisked
- bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup peas (fresh or thawed, if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Using a pizza cutter, cut each puff pastry sheet into 6 squares. You should have 12 squares.
3. Fold over the sides of each of the squares. Press gently to seal.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the ricotta with the garlic powder, lemon zest, lemon juice and egg to combine.
5. In a medium bowl, toss the asparagus with the olive oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Scoop 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture onto each piece of pastry. Divide the asparagus evenly among the tarts. Using a fork, make indentations all along the edges of the tarts.
7. Bake until the pastries are golden brown and the asparagus is tender, 20 minutes. Sprinkle the peas on top of each tart and then bake for 7 to 10 minutes more. Serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by PureWow