If there’s anything better than broccoli, it’s cheesy broccoli. And if there’s anything better than cheesy broccoli, it’s cheesy broccoli with cheesy pasta. This delicious Broccoli Parmesan Tortellini Bake may not be the most nutritious – vegetables aside – but it’s winter comfort food at its best!
- 1 20-oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cp chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 round buttery crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350. In a Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, red bell pepper and minced garlic cloves. Saute 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth, half-and-half and white wine. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, 6-8 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Add 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in tortellini and broccoli. Spoon into a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Stir together 1/2 cup grated cheese, 15 smashed crackers and 3 tablespoons butter (melted). Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Source: Adapted to be vegetarian from a recipe by Southern Living