In restaurants, you’ll traditionally see caprese salad laid on a platter with slices of beefsteak tomatoes and chunks of mozzarella. This method is ok, but mozzarella balls (bocconcini) are way more fun, and small cherry heirloom tomatoes are way better than the watery red off-the-vine type.
- 1 pound cherry heirloom tomatoes
- 1 pound mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- Olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes in half and add to bowl. Add mozzarella and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss with high-quality, flavorful Italian extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with additional olive oil and/or balsamic vinaigrette on the side.