If you love In n Out grilled onions, this dip is for you. Make it the night before so the next day you can be fully immersed in the scent of delicious, caramelized grilled onions. Pack breath mints.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound yellow onions (about 3), thickly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil1/4 cup chives, thinly chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and turning golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring often to avoid sticking or burning. Cook 15-40 minutes, only until caramelized.
- Remove from pan and mix in a bowl with sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate overnight to let flavors mesh. When ready to serve, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chives.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by New York Times Cooking