Lately, I’ve been seeing lots of recipes that incorporate pre-made tortellini and ravioli. I usually only explore recipes that have me cooking from scratch. But why not go for a recipe that jazzes up pre-made tortellini? You don’t have to do all or nothing in the kitchen.
I absolutely love sautéing fresh broccoli crowns with oil and lemon. So this recipe was the perfect “halfway” introduction for me.
Prep time: 15 min // Cook time: 45 min // Total time: 1 hour
For the broccoli:
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the tortellini:
- 1 pound refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- In a large bowl, drizzle broccoli with olive oil and lemon juice. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Toss and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- When tortellini is cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and crushed red pepper. Add the lemon zest and stir.
- Add the broccoli / olive oil mixture to the pot and cook until broccoli has reached preferred degree of tenderness. Add cooked tortellini, reserved pasta water, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the tortellini and serve warm.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Two Peas and Their Pod.