I’m obsessed with lemon poppyseed muffins! They aren’t nearly was easy to find as the cliche blueberry muffin, or the completely pointless chocolate muffin (isn’t this a cupcake??? Just eat dessert already if that’s what you want!).
I didn’t even know you could buy poppy seeds in the spice section of the grocery store, but you can!
Here’s how to bake your own lemon poppyseed muffins at home.
Prep time: 10 min // Bake time: 20 min // Yield: 12- 18 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, grated
- Combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, beaten egg, brown sugar, butter and lemon rind.
- Add to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened – do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pans 2/3 full (or muffin pans filled with cupcake liners).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minuets or until lightly browned. Remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living