There’s nothing like cheesy potatoes. This ultimate Potatoes au Gratin recipe is full of cream, butter and cheese and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any Thanksgiving table.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2.5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 teaspoons thyme leaves
1. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, cream and garlic. Whisk until combined.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Peel the potatoes. Using a mandolin, slice them 1/8 inch thick.
4. Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (I used a 9” Pyrex roasting pan). Pour over 1/3 of the cream mixture. Scatter 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese.
5. Repeat for the 2nd and 3rd layers – but DO NOT add the cheese for the top layer just yet.
6. Cover with lid or foil, and bake for 1 hour 15 min, or until the potatoes in the middle are soft (use a knife to test).
7. When the potatoes are soft, top with the rest of the cheese. Bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes sans foil until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
8. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Recipe Tin Eats