Stuffed bell peppers are such a yummy, healthy entree. But too often they come with ground beef, chicken or other meat. Black beans provide more than enough flavor and protein in this simple vegetarian dish.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 4 large red or green bell peppers, halved (from top to bottom), seeds removed
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Brush the halved bell peppers with vegetable oil. Place them cut side up on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package instructions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Sauté onion for 5 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Cook 1 more minute and remove from heat.
- Mix onion mixture with cooked quinoa. Stir in black beans, cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into bell pepper halves until all peppers are full. Sprinkle a bit more cheese on top.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes covered.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until peppers are soft and slightly golden brown.
- Plate. Serve with sour cream, lime, salsa or any other toppings you desire!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking