If there’s anything better than sweet, salty, buttery biscuits, it’s sweet, salty, buttery biscuits topped with cold fresh fruit. These Strawberry Blueberry Shortcakes are easy to make and put together for an A+ presentation.
Bring them to your next backyard BBQ, or make them for a patriotic holiday.
Prep time: 20 min // Cook time: 20 min // Total time: 40 min
For the shortcakes:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the fruit:
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Combine the sliced strawberries, blueberries and sugar in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a food processor, combine flour, lemon zest, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pulse until everything is combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add the butter and pulse for 30 seconds, until the butter is cut into small pea-sized chunks.
- In a small bowl, combine cream and vanilla. Add the cream mixture to the food processor. Combine for 30 seconds, or until you have a dough.
- Remove the dough and divide it into 9 equal portions. Form each portion of dough into a biscuit about 3/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 425. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the biscuits are medium golden brown, 20 minutes.
- Slice the biscuits in half. Top with a large spoonful of berries and top with the remaining biscuit half. Serve immediately as is, with whipped cream or with vanilla ice cream.
Source: What’s Gaby Cooking