Asparagus is the perfect vegetable to throw in everything – in pasta, with orzo or couscous, on tarts. It’s delicious and adds a nice crunch.
This one-pot recipe is perfect for when you want a nice home-cooked meal but don’t want to be standing in the kitchen for an hour.
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus spears
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Chop the asparagus spears into thirds.
- In a large stock pot, combine pasta, asparagus, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, stock, parsley, butter, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add additional water or vegetable stock if needed.
- Once the noodles have absorbed all the water, remove the pot from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, stirring well to incorporate it into the pasta. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Plate and serve with more parsley, crushed red pepper flakes or Parmesan if desired.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by How Sweet Eats