It’s not often that I finish eating a dish then go immediately to my computer to write about it, but I just have to tell the entire world about this amazing recipe! I love the flavor of Fettuccine Alfredo, but I hate how every restaurant / recipe calls for endless amounts of dripping, greasy, fatty sauce. Literally the noodles are always dripping in Alfredo sauce. This recipe has the perfect amount of sauce to coat the noodles and give a delicious, creamy flavor, but still let the taste of the pasta and asparagus shine through. I really can’t rave about this dish enough!
- 16oz uncooked fettuccine
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Drain in colander, return to pot and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook asparagus in olive oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Saute 6 minutes or until tender but still crisp.
3. Remove from heat. Add lemon zest and juice. Toss and keep warm.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add water and garlic. Cook 1 minute.
5. Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Add Parmesan, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
6. Add asparagus mixture and sauce to pasta in pot, tossing to combine and coat noodles. Sprinkle with chives. Serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living