I’m obsessed with stuffing. I am not a big fan of other”traditional? Thanksgiving, Christmas and winter dishes. But I could absolutely drown myself in stuffing this time of the year.
This recipe is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It’s 100% vegan but no one will notice if you don’t tell them!
- 1 pound sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery (about 5 ribs)
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Arrange the bread pieces on a couple of baking sheets.
2. Bake bread about 15-20 minutes, until bread feels dried-out on surface.
3. While the bread is in the oven, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Melt the vegan butter. Add celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more, until fragrant.
5. Add white wine, rosemary, thyme and sage. Raise the heat and bring the sauce to a simmer.
6. Allow sauce to cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of broth. Bring back to simmer.
7. Lower the heat and allow broth to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. In a small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch. Add the cornstarch mixture to the broth and continue to simmer until it thickens up a bit, about 2 minutes.
9. Remove the skillet from heat.
10. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees. Combine bread and broth mixture in medium (2-3 quart) baking dish until bread is evenly coated. You can add up to an additional 1/2 cup of broth if necessary, but be careful not to oversaturate bread.
11. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes.
12. Uncover the dish and bake for 20-30 minutes more, until dried out on top and slightly crisp around the edges. Remove from oven and serve!
Source: Connoisseurus Veg